Monday, September 22, 2008

A Big House of Fans, History and Memories

I can't think of the last time when I brought up the Yanks and had anything nice to say about them. Yes, I know, we won the Series in 2004 and ripped a 86 year old monkey off our back. But I still never had anything nice to say about this team or (in my own words) their precious Stadium. Recently, I even mentioned to all the Yankee Fans at work that I would be having a big party on the day they blew up Yankee Stadium. But then I realized that this wasn't a time for that. It wasn't a time for throwing zingers. It was time to put aside this intense rivalry and my cynical obnoxious views and (trying not to gag) pay some respect to a piece of Americana and the history of it....Boy, that was really tough to say!!!

But it's true, whether your are a sports fan or not, you have to admit that these old ballparks (Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, Ebbots Field, the old Detroit Stadium or my beloved Fenway) remind us when life once was so simple, so innocent, so natural. A time when you didn't need a IPod, game boy or any number of gadgets that people now need to live. The simple life. I remember the first time walking into Yankee Stadium and hearing the booming voice of Bob Sheppard echoing around the stadium. It reminded me of old baseball footage from the 20's, 30's, 40's. The smell of Cracker Jacks reminded me of going to my Grandfather's house when I was a kid. My buddy Chris, has talked many times on his blog about the times he visited Yankee Stadium with his Dad and now his son, Nolan.

But now, one more symbol that reminds us of the simpler times will be taken down and replaced by what team owners and presidents feel is something better. But will it? From a corporate stand point, absolutely yes. But from a fan aspect, from what I saw on TV last night, I'm not so sure. I think the fan would have been just as happy if they had refurbished it.
-
Unfortunately we have to move on and try to swallow the fact that our beloved house is being torn down and accept the new stadium. At the same time we also need to remember that our fond memories of this place will never be forgotten. The memory of being at the game with a friend, a parent or child will never go away. Yes, the new stadium may not make the same echo of Bob Sheppard voice, or the smell of cracker jacks may not be the same, but the important thing is, you will always have great memories of the place. Nobody will ever take that away.
-
So my hat goes off (for one day) to the Yankee Fans out there, the history of your franchise, the memories and finally to the House That Ruth Built.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9/23/2008 12:14 AM, Blogger Roon said...

Thanks, Aaron. That was really well put.

Let's plan on making a trip to the new stadium some day. And I would like to go to Fenway with you sometime too! (I owe you one after dragging you to the Bronx)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home