Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tolls, Stamps and a Big Piece of Pork

As most of you know, for the last 14 years I have been working for a New York State Authority that most people think shouldn't exist. When I first started blogging I swore to myself I would never write as to why I believe in this Authority and I plan on continuing that promise. I do need to point out, in the last 3 years we have had 2 toll increases, and lets just say...people around here are pissed. The press (both print and TV) have covered these increases extensively and I must say, they have asked hard questions.

But now I'm confused...On Monday a 1st class stamp increased a penny yet again and it was also announced that Senate Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno and Assemblyman Robert Reilly gave a combined total of $80,000 in tax payer dollars to one of the wealthiest suburbs so they can build a $120,000 "striking new 30-foot carillon and clock tower on Shen's sprawling main campus".

So tell me...Why is the press not consistent with these stories? I never heard the press ask the USPS why stamps go up every year. If I want to send a letter to Buffalo, the only way I can do it is either USPS or spend $10 via Fed-Ex or other parcel services. If I want to drive to Buffalo, I can pay a toll and drive a toll road or I can save my money and take Route 5. In other words, the USPS has more of a Monopoly on getting a letter to Buffalo then then the TWY has driving to buffalo. Yet the press fails to ask them the hard questions on the yearly increase. Why?
-
As for the striking new 30-foot carillon and clock tower, the TU treated this as a feel good story and again didn't ask the hard questions. They actually had other articles in the same paper about pork spending and then they write this story without mentioning that it is funded by pork. My first question to Mr. Bruno and Mr. Reilly would be: There are schools in this state that don't have enough money for text books and computers, so why do you feel it's appropriate to give tax payers dollars to one of the wealthiest suburbs so they can build a useless clock tower? This tower will not improve education in Clifton Park. Why not give that money to districts who really need it, or maybe reduce the pork spending burden on the tax payer?
-
I just don't get why the press asks the tough questions regarding toll increases but fail to ask tough questions about stamp increases or useless clock towers funded by state tax dollars.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5/16/2008 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may come to you as a surprise, but I do agree with you in principle.

However, I have to point out that stamps are federally funded. Not state dollars.

Being where I work, I have a MUCH louder bone to pick with the way state dollars are dolled out, but since I need my job, I'm keeping my mouth shut on this public forum.

Bottom line is, I hear you brother! The State has its priorites majorly screwed up.

 
At 5/16/2008 3:42 PM, Blogger Roon said...

I try to avoid talking about work too. But since you dipped your toe in those waters, so will I.

I can’t speak to the Shen story since I’m not as familiar with it. But I’ll definitely address your comparison of the news coverage of the stamps and the toll hikes.

In our morning news meeting on the day the stamps went up (or maybe it was the day before) we discussed the idea of doing a full blown story on it. I was one of the ones who argued against it. When I’m nearly going broke in order to put gas in my car, I could really care less about a stamp going up by a penny. Is it noteworthy? Yes, and we did note it on the news. But I and others agreed that there were better stories to pursue with our limited resources.

The difference between the stamps and the tolls is big. First off all, the stamp price – which we’re already used to seeing go up every few years – only went up 1 cent. The Thruway tolls are going up more the 20 percent for some drivers. What makes it an even bigger story is that the increase is occurring despite the fact the state comptroller, the governor and numerous others have been vocal in their opposition to it.

I’m sorry to say it because I know it’s your livelihood, but when it comes to this subject I’m starting to think more like Noah every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home