Sunday, February 26, 2006

And we wonder why people don't do business in New York State

Another classic reason of why businesses don't like to set up shop in New York State is in today's addition of the Times Union. According to the TU, Assemblyman Felix Ortiz wants to make it law requiring fast-food restaurants to post nutritional information about certain menu items. This would only apply to chain restaurants and Ortiz is noted in the article that chains such as McDonalds and Applebees already label certain dishes.

Two things here: When is society going to take some responsibility for its own actions? I have high Cholesterol and the only way I can control it is to watch my diet and to exercise. I know that when I go to McDonalds, chances are I'm not going eat anything healthy....But that is my choice. Anybody who doesn't understand that most restaurant food is not prepared in a "healthy" manner needs to get a clue. I don't need the government to tell me this. The government shouldn't be forcing restaurants to spend more of their hard earned money on labeling for the few morons who don't understand that McDonalds (or any other restaurant) food is bad for you.

Second...It's noted in the article that restaurants are starting to label food on their own. Obviously they are doing this because their customers want this info. If the industry is already labeling, then why is government forcing restaurants with this new law? Let the free enterprise work. If a majority of customers want this nutrition info, then restaurants will provide it because they want to keep the customer. By forcing labeling, you will increase the cost of food at restaurants and thus make consumer pay more for a hamburgers. This "tax", I mean labeling law is not a tax on the restaurant, but just another tax on the consumer.

3 Comments:

At 2/26/2006 7:56 PM, Blogger Roon said...

Aaron,

I'm impressed. This is a surprisingly Republican attitude. Maybe there's hope for you yet! ;-)

 
At 2/26/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger Aaron Hull said...

Yeah...right...ok...I'll turn republican the day I start rooting for the Yankees. That won't happen in this lifetime...guaranteed:-)

 
At 2/28/2006 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see your point. I have high blood pressure and control it with a combination or meds and diet. As for the communist State of New York, this is what happens when Democrats steal a bad idea. Also, Go Yankees

 

Post a Comment

<< Home