Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Proud Uncle

This coming July, believe it or not, Erin, my oldest niece will be turning 10 years old. Yes, it makes me feel old and it seams like it was yesterday when I held her for the first time in the hospital. But what makes me more proud is a e-mail I received from Erin's mother (my sister, Laura).

The e-mail basically told about Erin's field day at school today and how she placed 2nd of all the 4th grade girls in the softball throw and 3rd in the 50 yard dash (which means she gets to go to the district meet on Monday, 6/4 for both events). Laura also wrote how Erin's relay team didn't place because the girl running next to Erin tripped and fell and Erin tripped over her. Rather than keep running she stopped to help her friend and see if she was ok. So Erin did get an award for best sportsmanship of the meet.

At this point in the e-mail I smiled and thought how proud I was of her. But then I continued reading about a homework assignment that she wrote tonight, and not only was I so proud of Erin, but I was truly amazed about how good it was...how mature it was. The assignment was a ditto that said several phrases such as I worry... or I understand... or I cry and Erin had to fill in the blanks.

This was Erin's response:

I am an American
I wonder why there is a war
I hear fire works booming
I see smiles on all the kids faces
I want equality
I am an American
I imagine that there is a day of smiles with no tears
I feel all of the soldiers protecting my families lives
I touch my heart that holds all of my love
I worry about my families lives
I cry when I hear that a soldier died
I am an American
I understand that war is wrong
I say "Stop all wars!"
I dream of everybody becoming one
I try to help in every way I can
I hope I do a good job representing my country
I am an American

Maybe I'm getting to be a softee in my old age, but this is good stuff.

Great Job Erin!!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5/31/2007 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This shows just how caring a person you are... Wonderful job Erin! I love you!

 
At 6/01/2007 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! just wow - that was amazing. You should frame it.

And Brian says that he always knew Erin was a smarty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home