Tuesday, October 03, 2006

School Violence...Are we doing enough?

This morning I read the horrible news about the school killings at a Pennsylvania Amish school. The horrific accounts brought tears to my eyes. How could anybody do this?

After a day of reflection of this awful tragedy and about recent violence at other schools across the nation including Albany High and South Colonie High, I asked myself, as a nation, are we doing enough to protect our children? My personal opinion is no!!!

I know all the laws/protections in the world are not going to prevent what happened in Pennsylvania, but why isn’t Society, the Governor, Congress and The President taking youth violence/gang violence seriously? Youth violence/gang violence is not just an Albany or NYC problem, it’s happening in all schools. When I drive around Albany, Colonie, Niskayuna, Saratoga, Clifton Park and Schenectady I see signs of gangs in the form of Graffiti. It has become such a problem that Crossgates Mall doesn’t allow people under 18 on weekend nights without a parent. I know people in the Social Services field that tell me that Crossgates is loaded with gang activity and they even trained me how to spot them. So this problem is everywhere, yet we as a society don’t demand the problem be addressed seriously. Do we not realize this is a serious problem? Why don’t we get involved and do what needs to be done? Why don’t politicians tackle the problem? Are they afraid it will hurt economic development? Why doesn’t the media ask politicians/police tough questions about gangs (Use the word gang more)?

People have told me that I am wrong for not supporting the war in Iraq…a war about oil. Yet we have a more important war to fight here at home and no one seams to take it seriously until it is too late…the war against youth violence/gang violence. It’s amazing, but in this country it is easier to buy a gun at Wall Mart then it is to see a Janet Jackson costume malfunction. The last I knew guns killed more kids then Janet Jackson bare front. And obviously congress sees her flashing as a bigger threat too…FCC fines increase yet no gun control bills.

As a start, here are a few things that should be done:

  1. Make youth violence/gang violence a number one priority
  2. Demand Administrators make this a number one priority…if they don’t, get rid of them.
  3. Increase funding to after school and evening programs to keep kids off the streets and out of trouble. Require trouble youths to attend and if they don’t, refer to either #4 or #5 below.
  4. Hold parents accountable for child’s actions (including criminal and/or monetary)
    If parents fail at being parents, they lose custody of children.
  5. Increase mandatory sentences for youth violence/gang violence…make them felonies)
  6. Require all acts of violence (including non-injury fights) be reported to the public within 24 hours of an incident. Any unreported incidents result in dismissal or personal fines to administrators.
  7. Metal Detectors as needed
  8. School Uniforms
  9. Gun Control…I’m sorry, you don’t need an ooze to hunt bambi.
  10. Gun Control
  11. Did I say…Gun Control

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home