Monday, February 08, 2010

"Don't Be Cynical"

In his farewell speech on his last Tonight Show a few weeks ago, Conan O'Brien (the class guy that he is) pleaded to his audience not to cynical. I'll admit, I'm a cynical person and over the last year, I have tried to make a conscious effort to not be as cynical. Sometimes I think it gets the best of me and keeps me enjoying life to the fullest.

But first the recall and then I read articles like this about a company that I always thought was a good company, how can I not be cynical? Should we just stop reading/watching the news? If we did that, then my good buddy Chris would be out of a job and the crooks, I mean politicians, would win.

I've lost my faith in both state and federal Govt; I think it is broken, so until it is fixed, I may not participate (i.e. voting). So maybe I should go one giant step further and not even watch the news (of course, I would still click a few times a day on WNYT.com just to keep Chris's numbers up).

What do I do?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2/09/2010 8:23 AM, Blogger Roon said...

How does it get fixed if you don't vote?

 
At 2/09/2010 9:41 AM, Blogger Aaron Hull said...

It doesn't get fixed...it never will. Every politician out there is dirty and the only way either party is going to back a candidate is if he/she gets dirty or promises to get dirty once elected. Politicians no longer represent us. They all look down on us like we don't know what we are talking about. We do not matter to them, because we do not have big $$$. As long as they can appease the big contributes (Business, Unions, individuals) little guys like us (who want reform) don't matter. Campaign laws allow big business, unions and rich individuals to manipulate the political systems in ways you or I can't. Do you honestly think someone like you or I who want real reform can really run for office...NEVER HAPPEN! First, we don't have money and second, if we did have money, when we start running our opinions against the established "values" of the platform, party leaders would tell us to go fly a kite. This happens in both parties.

Campaign finance reform is the biggest problem in this country. Bigger then health care, bigger then the wars, bigger then social security reform. John McCain tried to make this a big issue in 2000 and he got pushed in the corner by the republican establishment. Then he runs again in 2008 and he doesn't say one word about it...He made the deal for the nomination. Dems or Repub...Obama, McCain, Palin, Bush and Clinton...They are all the same. The system allows big business, unions and the rich to remain in control.

So, again, why should I even bother voting? As long as the system stays the same, the person I vote for will just join the dirty establishment and nothing will ever change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home